On 6/14/23, YKY (Yan King Yin, 甄景贤) <generic.intellige...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2023, 02:41 Mike Archbold <jazzbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Personally I found the attached comment ageist, sexist, and racist
>

> Yes, she's referring to the traditional "older white male" privilege which
> pops up very frequently in daily conversations.  I think this kind of
> attitude is not really helpful towards making a better future.  The way to
> eliminate bias is to avoid biases, but not by bringing up old injustices
> and trying to get revenge.  The latter will only create more chaos and
> worsen the situation.

In the context of overall sociology I have no problem with talking
about race I suppose. Somebody like Emily Bender is constantly
lecturing the world on keeping racism, ageism, and sexism out of
models, which is fine, but she has no problem at all characterizing
Geoff Hinton (I believe) rather dismissively as an "old white guy."
So, the point is not to aim such characterizations at individuals.
Talking about macro-issues is fine.