I've been on this list for 20 years. My impression is the decline started a
long time ago when all the big projects at the time like OpenCog, NARS,
AIGO, and Genifer, ultimately failed and were abandoned. Some of the people
are still here but rarely post any more because they are busy with other
things. The people who do post (like me) aren't developing a project, so
don't really have much to contribute. The list used to be a place where you
could ask questions about AGI, but now we know the answer is lots of
hardware, software, data, and money. The big tech companies with trillion
dollar market caps are the ones doing AI, not us.

In 2006 I started a text compression benchmark that ultimately showed the
superiority of neural networks for language modeling. In 2013 I published a
paper estimating the cost of AGI at $1 quadrillion. It's not something I
will even attempt to build. But we can talk about where the world is
headed, even if we can only play a small part in it.