SOME ON THIS LIST *DO* "HAVE MUCH TO CONTRIBUTE" TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF AGI

I have also been on this list since the '90s and attended the 2008, 2009,
2011, and 2016 AGI conferences. I was quite active on this list in the late
2000s and early 2010s, since then I occasionally read a post, particularly
if it appears to contain a link to an interesting article.  In 2010 after
attending a Humanity Plus conference held at Harvard, I wrote two posts on
the Humanity Plus website.  The first which claimed we had already solved
all the major conceptual problems necessary to achieve AGI and could
achieve it within 10 years once really big money came into the field (which
didn't happen with my understanding of really big money until the
late 2010's).  That article got twice as many downloads as the next most
downloaded article on the Humanity Plus site, which was by Ben Geortzel.
My second article on that web site was on the possible effects of
superintelligent machines upon humanity given the very mixed, complex
qualities of human nature and human society.  It got only slightly fewer
downloads than Geortzel's most downloaded post.

It is the subject matter of my second such post,  in which those of us who
understand most of the major philosophical issues in AI, and who have been
thinking about the potential of AI for decades, have the most to offer.
Many of us are just as capable of understanding the great dangers and great
promise of AI, and speaking out about that, as young geeks at OpenAI or
Deepmind.  Our society needs vigorous public discussion of how AI can be
used to help greatly improve the ability of media, voting, government,
capitalism, markets, journalism, education, medicine, art, entertainment,
law enforcement to either help or hurt the quality of human
conscious existence.

I think that those of us who have a much better than average understanding
of AI, but not the money or position to do anything on big hardware still
have an important role to play, and that includes trying to create and
participate intelligent public discussion of what sort of AGI's should be
created and how such AGI's  should be used.

If any on this list are interested in having a zoom to discuss the subject
of democratic AI, that is AI that serves humans and human governance,
please email me at ewpor...@gmail.com or respond on this gmail thread.

Ed Porter