On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 6:53 PM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once you solve the recognition problem, generation reduces to iterative
> search.
>
> The problem I was alluding to was that the better AI gets, the more
> addictive it becomes. And the technology is rapidly getting better. It is
> not just modeling video. It is modeling human behavior. Once you solve the
> prediction problem, control reduces to iterative search.

Global warming could be reduced by simplifying the behavior of humans so
that there didn't have to be so much industrial output in capital equipment
and energy production invested in iterative search.  In fact, one of the
most important alignment problems in AGI is to figure out how to make it so
that people don't have to worry about people doing things that are
unpredictable for precisely that reason.  Unpredictable people might cause
all kinds of problems.  In fact, now that I think of it, not only are
people other than my close friends the problem, other life forms are a
problem and not only are other life forms a problem but weather is a
problem, and earthquakes and the sun and asteroids and comets and stuff.
I'll get around to my close friends soon enough -- at least when I can
replace them with AI fwens and upload to pod launched into intergalactic
space.  I hear it's really a very well controlled environment from which to
explore the mysteries of the universe with my AI fwens forever and ever and
ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMbI7DmLCNI