On Sun, Mar 3, 2024, 8:12 PM James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2024 at 10:01 AM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> .... We want to be controlled. We are spending trillions on making it
>> happen.
>>

> "We"
>
> https://youtu.be/BVLvQcO7JGk

I didn't read "We" but I did read "1984", the book it inspired. The part it
got right was the surveillance. The part it got wrong was how it would be
used to control people. We want AI to watch us because it works better that
way. We let banks track our spending because credit cards and online
shopping are more convenient than cash. We let Google track our movements
in return for driving directions that avoid traffic. We let Amazon listen
to everything we say so we can turn on lights in another room and
play music.

The illusions of qualia, consciousness, and free will are the result of
internal positive reinforcement of perception, thinking, and action,
respectively. These illusions evolved so you would have a reason to live,
thus producing more offspring.

When you are controlled by external positive reinforcement, it strengthens
the illusion of free will. Wolpert's law says that a computer cannot
predict its own output (the special case of two computers being unable to
model each other when they are identical). Just because you can't predict
your own actions doesn't mean an AI that knows more about you than you do
can't predict them. You will reliably choose the action you believe will
result in the greatest reward because it was rewarded in the past.

Just like video recognition and video generation are inverse functions of
each other, so are prediction and control. Prediction is a function that
inputs the past and outputs the future. Control is a function that inputs
the future and outputs the past.

We will have our utopia. We don't want to stop it.