On Monday, April 01, 2024, at 3:24 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Tonini doesn't even give a precise formula for what he calls phi, a measure
> of consciousness, in spite of all the math in his papers. Under reasonable
> interpretations of his hand wavy arguments, it gives absurd results. For
> example, error correcting codes or parity functions have a high level of
> consciousness. Scott Aaronson has more to say about this.
> https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=1799

Yes, I remember Aaronson completely tearing up IIT, redoing it several ways,
and handing it back to him. There is a video too I think. A prospective
conscious model should need to pass the Aaronson test.

Besides the simplistic one-to-one mapping of bits to bits a question might be –
describe an algorithm that ranks the consciousness of some of the permutations
of a string. It would be interesting to see what various consciousness models
say about that, if anything.