To friends and acquaintances interested in philosophy, AGI, physics, a new
blog post:

https://linas.org/blog/2026/09/subjective-being-ness-follows-from-free-will/

The subjective experience of being, living, existing, feeling, experiencing
and acting arises precisely because we have free will, because we have the
ability to direct and create a future. I claim more: being trapped in the
here-and-now is a fact of physics; it can be mathematized. I claim that any
agent with executive control over it’s future will also feel alive and
aware and experience the subjective inner life of feelings and emotions.
This includes not just animals, but also plants and even bacteria.

The ingress of possible futures from the Platonic realm into physical
reality happens directly in the here-and-now, and the willful selection of
possible futures manifests as conscious awareness of the subjective self.

This essay is an attempt to put a dent in the "hard problem of
consciousness" by placing a mathematical, physical foundation under it.

I hope you enjoy it. (p.s. no LLM's or AI's were used to write this; these
are my words. It took several years to put this together.)

-- Linas Vepstas

------------------------------------------
Artificial General Intelligence List: AGI
Permalink: 
https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/T9e51fc70bbc4e9fc-M0fa22591b0ade2ee29b2a891
Delivery options: https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/subscription

Reply via email to