On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 08:38, John Rose wrote:

> For the AI that I've been doing Windows has the essential ingredients.
> Developing these "Hunter Gatherer" nodes, they intricately exploit the
> Internet Explorer object model that is on 10 zillion Windows desktops.
> The nodes(one per machine) avoid paging penalties by keeping themselves
> way below major paging thresholds.  In fact they try to keep themselves
> running healthy on machines with less than 64 megs.  But to harmonize
> processing power they look for other nodes in IP address-space subsets,
> link themselves loosely, and generate/relay summary information through
> the lazy mesh.  The nodes function as "constellations" but they don't
> penalize resources too much and all the glory of the IE objects are
> exploited.

See MOSIX under Linux.  Transparent process migration, distribution, and
memory balancing across a cluster of computers.  If the CPU load or
memory load is too high on one machine it transparently distributes
processes to other machines in the cluster with more free resources of
the type needed.

It is a kernel-level patch, so no special application level programming
is required.  Processes are oblivious to the fact that they are being
moved around the network as loading dictates.  I don't use MOSIX myself,
but I know others that have and it has been around for several years.
It is a really slick trick for making a cluster feel like a single
machine without having to write special code in you application. Normal
process limits still apply of course, they just aren't limited by the
specific limits of the machine they may have been started on.

-James Rogers
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]