> Since his semantic network is explicitly mapped into his variant of
> paraconsistent predicate logic, I guess the fact that he uses a "semantic
> network" metaphor/data-structure is incidental to the weakness of his
> reasoning/learning mechanism..

His work started with using semantic network for knowledge representation,
especially for NLP.  It was much later that he tried to build a "logic" for
it.
In this way, the logic is "customer designed" for what they have done in
semantic network.

> I see nothing in Sneps that deals with uncertainty robustly, and nor do I
> see any mechanism capable of controlling the course of inference in
> nontrivial situations...

They don't have much on these issues, as far as I know. I and Shapiro both
presented at IJCAI-2001's workshop on Abductive Reasoning, and his work
(at http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/sneps/Bibliography/bursha01a.ps) is still
basically
in first-order predicate logic. When we talked after the meeting, he
admitted that
he also felt the problems in the traditional logic, but hadn't tried to go
too far
beyond it.  I haven't read his "paraconsistent term logic" stuff yet.

> I am impressed that they have actually taken the step of integrating their
> logic-based memory, inference and learning framework with a real system
with
> sensors and actuators, however.  Ultimately, this sort of work may reveal
> them the weakness of their cognitive mechanisms and impel them to find
> improved methods...

I didn't know they are moving in this direction until I got your email.
This indeed
makes the project much more interesting.  I'll spend some time on it, though
I'm
afraid that a problem in logic cannot be solved by adding sensorimotor
capacity.

Pei