Gary Miller wrote:
> I also agree that the AGI approach of modeling and creating a self
> learning system is a valid bottom up approach to AGI.  But it is much
> harder for me with my limited mathematical and conceptual knowledge of
> the research to grasp how and when these systems will be able jumpstart
> themselves and evolve to the point of communicating in English.

Sure.

In my view, the path involves teaching an AGI to carry out simple tasks in
an environment (physical or digital) and then teaching it to communicate
about these tasks and related entities in its environment...

> While it is true that most bots today generate a reflexive response
> based only on the user's input, it is possible to extend bot technology
> by generating the response based upon the following additional internal
> stimuli not provided in the current input they are responding to.  These
> stimuli provide at least a portion of the grounding I think you are
> referring to.

Hm...

Actually, I think you're getting at a deep point here.

Potentially, *conversational pragmatics* and *inferred psychology* can be
used to ground *semantics*, for a chat bot...

For example, suppose there's a pattern of word usage, sentence length, etc.,
which correlates with humans being angry.

The bot can learn to correlate this pattern with the word "angry."

It is thus grounding the word "angry" with a nonlinguistic pattern...

It may then learn different patterns corresponding to "very angry" versus
"slightly angry" ..

Suppose there's also a pattern of word usage, sentence length, punctuation
use, etc., that corresponds to the emotion of "happy"  ... and "very happy"
vs. "slightly happy"

If it also understands "very long sentence" vs. "slightly long sentence" vs.
"not long sentence" [via grounding these in sentence lengths], then it may
be able to extrapolate from these examples to form an abstract model of
"very"-ness in general...

Based on this line of thinking, I have to modify and partially retract my
previous statement.

If a chat bot is given the ability to study patterns in language usage, such
as the ones mentioned above, then it may use these patterns as a
"nonlinguistic" domain in which to ground its linguistic knowledge...

So, I think that truly intelligent language usage COULD potentially be
learned by a chat bot

I still think this is trickier than learning it via a more
physical-world-ish grounding domain, but it's far from impossible....

Very interesting point, Gary, thanks!!

-- Ben

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]