Hi,

> I disagree that we have a problem converting procedural to
> declarative for all domains.

Sure, you're right.  Here as in many other areas, the human brain's
performance is highly domain-variant.

> That said, Novamente would be far better at it than we.  With the
> ability to understand it's own code, NM could just rattle off the
> relevant parameters into declarative memory.  Making this
> declarative knowledge useful would require understanding how it
> functions though.   That would be the tricky part.

Right.  This doesn't require source-code-analysis either, just an
understanding of learned parameters existing within the run-time state of
the system.

Indeed, making the declarative knowledge derived from "rattling off
parameters describing procedures" useful is a HARD problem... but at least
Novamente can get the data, which as you have greed, would seem to give AI
systems an in-principle advantage over humans in this area...

It's hard to overestimate the intelligence-enhancement potential of a more
fluid process of interconversion btw declarative and procedural knowledge

Ben G