Monday, March 3, 2003, 1:18:18 AM, Kevin Copple wrote:

KC> Here's an idea (if it hasn't already been considered before):

KC> In each executing component of an AGI has Control Code.  This Control Code
KC> monitors a Big Red Switch.  If the switch is turned on, execution proceeds
KC> normally.  If not, all execution by the component stopped.

KC> The big red switch could be a heart monitor on Ben's chest.  The AGI better
KC> keep Ben alive!  And if Ben gets angry with the AGI, he can remove the heart
KC> monitor, so the AGI better keep Ben happy also.

Bypass the monitor signal.  Create a system or subsystem that will
make the Ben heart monitor always give out correct signals.  Worst
case, kill Ben but take his heart out and hook it up to an electrical
stimulus.

I should really point out that from a certain angle, the "fixed reward
problem" looks exactly like the "computer security" problem.  Some
relevant resources are:

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html
  (archives of the newsletter "crypto-gram",  by Bruce Schneier, one
  of the foremost cryptography writers)

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/rja14/satan.pdf
  (programming Satan's computer)

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks
  (archives of the moderated comp.risks group)

In general I'd recommend adopting the super-paranoid hypotheses of the
cryptography community when considering such issues:
 - always assume fantastically powerful entities want to subvert or
   negate your goals
 - always assume they have just about all information about you and
   your work (algorithms, ciphertext)
 - design your work so that none of that makes a difference: design
   codes so that even posession of ciphertext and some plaintexts
   doesn't let your opponent crack important messages; design your
   AI so that even posession of the AI code doesn't help to create
   unfriendly technologies.

For further indoctrination into full cypherparanoia, consult the
cypherpunks mailing list archive, read "cryptoanarchy" by Tim May,
read about medusa/tentacles, etc.  The summary is, really, assume the
worst: plan and design for it.

--
Cliff