I think that public learning/training of an AGI would be a terrible disaster...

Look at what happened with OpenMind and MindPixel....  These projects
allowed the public to upload knowledge into them, which resulted in a
lot of knowledge of the general nature "Jennifer Lopez got a nice
butt", etc.

Jason Hutchens once showed me two versions of his statistical learning
based conversation system, MegaHal.  One was trained by him, the other
by random web-surfers.  The former displayed some occasional apparent
intelligence, the latter constantly spewed amusing but eventually
boring junk about penises and such.

I had the idea once to teach an AI system in Lojban, and then let
random Lojban speakers over the Web interact with it to teach it.
This might work, because the barrier to entry is so high.  Anyone who
has bothered to learn Lojban is probably a serious nerd and wouldn't
feel like filling the AI's mind with a bunch of junk.  Of course, I
haven't bothered to learn Lojban well yet, though ;-( ...

-- Ben

On 7/13/06, James Ratcliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > > While AIXI is all a bit pie in the sky, "mathematical philosophy" if
you
> > like,
> > I think the above does however highlight something of practical
importance:
> > Even if your AI is incomputably super powerful, like AIXI, the training
and
> > education of the AI is still really important. Very few people spend
time
> > thinking about how to teach and train a baby AI. I think this is a
greatly
> > ignored aspect of AI.
>
> Agree, but there is a reason: before a "baby AI" is actually built,
> not to much can be said about its education. For example, assume both
> AIXI and NARS are successfully built, they will need to be educated in
> quite different ways (though there will be some similarity), given the
> different design. I'll worry about education after the details of the
> system are relatively stable.

Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > > While AIXI is all a bit pie in the sky, "mathematical philosophy" if
you
> > like,
> > I think the above does however highlight something of practical
importance:
> > Even if your AI is incomputably super powerful, like AIXI, the training
and
> > education of the AI is still really important. Very few people spend
time
> > thinking about how to teach and train a baby AI. I think this is a
greatly
> > ignored aspect of AI.
>
> Agree, but there is a reason: before a "baby AI" is actually built,
> not to much can be said about its education. For example, assume both
> AIXI and NARS are successfully built, they will need to be educated in
> quite different ways (though there will be some similarity), given the
> different design. I'll worry about education after the details of the
> system are relatively stable.

Pei,

I think you are right that the process of education and mental
development is going to be different for different types of AGI
systems.

However, I don't think it has to be dramatically different for each
very specific AGI design. And I don't think one has to wait till one
has a working AGI to put serious analysis into its psychological
development and instruction.

In the context of Novamente, I have put a lot of thought into how
mental development should occur for AGI systems that are

-- heavily based on uncertain inference
-- embodied in a real or simulated world where they get to interact
with other agents

Novamente falls into this category, but so do other AGI designs.

A few of my and Stephan Bugaj's thoughts on this are described here:

http://www.agiri.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=158

and here:

http://www.novamente.net/engine/

(see "Stage of Cognitive Development...")

I have a whole lot of informal notes written down on AGI Developmental
Psychology, extending the general ideas in this presentation/paper,
and will probably write them up as a manuscript one day...

-- Ben

subscription,
please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[...]

Ben,
  Thanks for the resources, I needed those for some more in depth of NM
system.  (Havn't read them yet but...)

How far have you investigated into the simulated world?  This is becoming
more interesting to me as I believe that any reasonable AI agent will need
to be situated in a much more complex environment than the standard
operating system executable.  I created a bot at one time for Everquest, but
most of the large 3d games are too complicated for the level of AI I need.
For now I will use a simple 2 graphic, and later can move into a VRML type
web page.

What do you think about some type of Public Learning/Training? I am mocking
up a model of AI that would be essentially open to the public to modify in
certain restricted ways, therby allowing them to create simple things in the
environment, and to define processes, and to reward behavior.

  I think if this was modeled correctly this could be a boon to middle stage
growth of an AI, and would utalize the users at large in the world for many
possible man hours.

James Ratcliff

Thank You
James Ratcliff