On 7/13/06, James Ratcliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On the topic of measuring intelligence, what do you think about the actual structure of comparison of some of today's AI systems.  I would like to see someone come up with and get support for a general fairly widespread set of test s for general AI other than the turing test.

After some months looking around for tests of intelligence for machines what I found
was... not very much.  Few people have proposed tests of intelligence for machines,
and other than the Turing test, none of these test have been developed or used much.

Naturally I'd like "universal intelligence", that Hutter and myself have formulated,
to lead to a practical test that was widely used.  However making the test practical
poses a number of problems, the most significant of which, I think, is the sensitivity
that universal intelligence has to the choice of reference universal Turing machine.
Maybe, with more insights, this problem can be, if not solved, at least dealt with in
a reasonably acceptable way?

Shane