Yes, an important point. For our project we invented a new profession: AI psychologist.

It is very hard to find computer scientists who are comfortable thinking about a program (AGI) in terms of teaching, training and psychology. Conversely, developmental and cognitive psychologists usually don’t have an interest in computers/ programming.

Peter

PS. http://adaptiveai.com/company/opportunities.htm

From: Andrew Babian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:04:31 +0300, Joshua Fox wrote
> I'd like to raise a FAQ: Why is so little AGI research and development being done?

I think this is a very good question.  Maybe the problem has just been daunting.  It seems like only recently have there really started to be some good theoretical models, and maybe people just haven't realized that it may have just become reasonable.  So maybe some is inertia.  I'm in town here with Stan Franklin, who is one of those working on a general model, though I don't work with his group.  He's had a relationship with the cognitive science people at the university here, and is glad to be able to do "real science".  And it does seem like the computer people and psychologists really are in separate worlds and are not that into reaching out.  I remember talking to a cog psych graduate student who seemed to have interests in understanding how mings might work.  But I'm from an engineering background, and talking to her, it seemed like she came out and said she was only interested in how people work, and had no interest in how to get a machine to do it.  A matter of priorities and interest, then, perhaps.  As for the principles, I also seem to remember that they had some trouble getting the primary cognitive psychologist to get that interested in helping with the theoretical psychology because he had so many other things he was working on.  My exposure to that group was very limited though, but I remember getting that feeling.  And, they have a cog sci seminar where really try to get the computer people to work with the psychologists, but a semester is too short.  I suppose I need to find out if there are any deeper collaborations going on.