Matt Mahoney wrote:
From: BillK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Parsing is unsolved.  Translators like Babelfish have progressed little since
the 1959
Russian-English project.  Microsoft Word's grammar checker catches some mistakes
but is clearly not AI.

I think the problem will eventually be solved. There was a long period of stagnation since the 1959 Russian-English project but I think this period
> will soon end thanks to better language models due to the recent availability
> of large text databases, fast hardware, and cheap memory.  Once we solve
> the language modeling problem, we will remove the main barrier to many NLP
> problems such as speech recognition, translation, OCR, handwriting
> recognition, and question answering.

Sorry, but IMO large databases, fast hardware, and cheap memory ain't got nothing to do with it.

Anyone who doubts this get a copy of Pim Levelt's "Speaking", read and digest the whole thing, and then meditate on the fact that that book is a mere scratch on the surface (IMO a scratch in the wrong direction, too, but that's neither here nor there).

I saw a recent talk about an NLP system which left me stupified that so little progress has been made since 20 years ago.

Having a clue about just what a complex thing intelligence is, has everything to do with it.

Richard Loosemore