On 10/23/06, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It's a shame that Evolution Robotics weren't able to develop that system
further.  A logical progression would be to extend the geometric hashing to
3D and eventually 4D, although that would require a stereo camera or some
other way of measuring distances to the observed features.  Even so that
demo program of theirs remains as one of the more impressive examples of
invariant object recognition.  You can present objects at all kinds of
different rotations and scales and still have the program locate them, even
within a noisy webcam image.

I know one guy who bought an Evolution robot some years ago.  He took it to
a primary school and demonstrated how it recognised different objects.  He
said that the robot could recognise the objects and speak their names faster
than the children could.

Is a stereo camera system really necessary if you can move the camera
around to get shape-from-motion?

Last I heard Evolution was partnering up with WowWee, to load their
software onto the next generation of their RoboSapien toy:

I find a SIFT-equipped robot in the $200 range to be quite exciting.
Hopefully the new generation will be as hack-friendly as the older
generations.

-- Neil