On 11/2/06, Eric Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So Pei's comments are in some sense wishes. To be charitable--
maybe I should say beliefs supported by his experience.
But they are not established facts. It remains a possibility,
supported by reasonable evidence,
that language learning may be an intractable additional step
on top of building a program achieving other aspects of intelligence.

Of course you are right. We have no fact about AGI until someone build
it, and convince the others that it is indeed an AGI, which may take
longer than the former step. ;-)

As I mentioned before, I haven't done any actual experiment in
language learning yet, so my beliefs on this topic have relatively low
confidence compared to some of my other beliefs. I'm just not
convinced by the arguments about their impossibility. For example, I
don't think we know a system that is intelligent in every sense, but
cannot understand a human language, even after a reasonably long
training period.

Pei