I will try to answer several posts here.  I said that the knowledge base of an
AGI must be opaque because it has 10^9 bits of information, which is more than
a person can comprehend.  By opaque, I mean that you can't do any better by
examining or modifying the internal representation than you could by examining
or modifying the training data.  For a text based AI with natural language
ability, the 10^9 bits of training data would be about a gigabyte of text,
about 1000 books.  Of course you can sample it, add to it, edit it, search it,
run various tests on it, and so on.  What you can't do is read, write, or know
all of it.  There is no internal representation that you could convert it to
that would allow you to do these things, because you still have 10^9 bits of
information.  It is a limitation of the human brain that it can't store more
information than this.

It doesn't matter if you agree with the number 10^9 or not.  Whatever the
number, either the AGI stores less information than the brain, in which case it
is not AGI, or it stores more, in which case you can't know everything it does.

James Ratcliff wrote:

>Having looked at the nueral network type AI algorithms, I dont see any
>fathomable way that that type of architecture could
>create a full AGI by itself.

Nobody has created an AGI yet.  Currently the only working model of
intelligence we have is based on neural networks.  Just because we can't
understand it doesn't mean it is wrong.

James Ratcliff wrote:

>Also it is a critical task for expert systems to explain why they are
doing what they are doing, and for business application,
>I for one am
not goign to blindy trust what the AI says, without a little background.

I expect this ability to be part of a natural language model.  However, any
explanation will be based on the language model, not the internal workings of
the knowledge representation.  That remains opaque.  For example:

Q: Why did you turn left here?
A: Because I need gas.

There is no need to explain that there is an opening in the traffic, that you
can see a place where you can turn left without going off the road, that the
gas gauge reads "E", and that you learned that turning the steering wheel
counterclockwise makes the car turn left, even though all of this is part of
the thought process.  The language model is responsible for knowing that you
already know this.  There is no need either (or even the ability) to explain
the sequence of neuron firings from your eyes to your arm muscles.

>and this is one of the requirements for the Project Halo contest (took and
>passed the AP chemistry exam)
>http://www.projecthalo.com/halotempl.asp?cid=30

This is a perfect example of why a transparent KR does not scale.  The expert
system described was coded from 70 pages of a chemistry textbook in 28
person-months.  Assuming 1K bits per page, this is a rate of 4 minutes per bit,
or 2500 times slower than transmitting the same knowledge as natural language.

Mark Waser wrote:
>   Given sufficient time, anything  should be able to be understood and
> debugged.
>     Give me *one* counter-example to  the above . . . .

Google.  You cannot predict the results of a search.  It does not help that you
have full access to the Internet.  It would not help even if Google gave you
full access to their server.

When we build AGI, we will understand it the way we understand Google.  We know
how a search engine works.  We will understand how learning works.  But we will
not be able to predict or control what we build, even if we poke inside.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]