On 1/14/07, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, we need to agree on some conventions.  A pretty "standard" way is:
>     Is(water,wet).

In the "standard way" of knowledge representation, a constant is
either a predicate name or an individual name. Mass noun like "water"
is neither. There is no consensus on how to represent it yet.
In the above formula, "water" is a constant.  I don't see why it cannot be a
mass noun.  Predicate logic does not restrict constants/variables in any
way, they can be any abstract or concrete concept.

I guess you will represent "water is liquid" as R(is, water, liquid),
right? Are you going to somehow show the difference between noun like
"liquid" and adjective like "wet"? Are you going to somehow show the
difference between uncountable noun like "liquid" and countable noun
like "table"?

One could have statements like:
   Noun(water)
   Uncountable(water)
   Adjective(wet)
   etc
but they are again conventions.

I'm afraid that there is no "format that is as natural as possible or
pleases most people".

Well, indeed you're right.  It seems that either we have to agree on some
arbitrary format, or just leave it as English (perhaps parsed and
disambiguated).

YKY