On 1/19/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think if you want to make a business out of AI, you are in for a lot of
work.    First you need something that is truly innovative, that does
something that nobody else can do.  What will that be?  A search engine
better
than Google?  A new operating system that understands natural language?  A
car
that drives itself?  A household servant robot?  A program that can manage
company?  A better spam detector?  Text compression?

Write down a well defined goal.  Do research.  What is your
competition?  How
are your ideas better than what's been done?  Prove it (with benchmarks),
and
the opportunities will come.

Thanks for the tips.  My idea is quite simple, slightly innovative, but not
groundbreaking.  Basically, I want to collect a knowledgebase of facts as
well as rules.  Facts are like "water is wet" etc.  The rules I explain
with this example:  "Cats have claws;  Kitty is a cat;  therefore Kitty has
claws."  Here is an implicit rule that says "if X is-a Y and Z(Y), then
Z(X)".  I call rules like this the "Rules of Thought".  They are not logical
tautologies but they express some common thought patterns.

My theory is that if we collect a bunch of these rules, add a database
of common sense facts, and add a rule-based FOPL inference engine (which may
be enhanced with eg Pei Wang's numerical logic), then we have a common sense
reasoner.  That's what I'm trying to build as a first-stage AGI.

If it does work, there may be some commercial applications for such a
reasoner.  Also it would serve as the base to build a full AGI capable of
machine learning etc (I have crudely worked out the long-term plan).

So, is this a good business idea?

YKY