Russell> On 1/28/07, Eric Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> How do you respond to the 20-question argument that there are only
>> of order 2^20 "knowledge items" ?

Russell> The granularity of knowledge items for 20 Questions and the
Russell> number 20 are specifically chosen to match each other, to
Russell> make the game fair. While never explicitly stated, everyone
Russell> understands that e.g. 'a book' is a fair topic for 20
Russell> Questions, but 'Alice in Wonderland' is not. Yet we do know
Russell> about 'Alice in Wonderland', and any attempt to duplicate
Russell> human abilities must take that into account.

Eric> Have you ever played 20 questions? In the games I've played,
Eric> Alice in Wonderland would be a fine topic. I admit its
Eric> surprising that one plays as well as one does.

I haven't played 20 questions recently, but in response to your
comment I just went to www.20q.net and played thinking of Alice in
Wonderland, the book. The neural net guessed "is it a novel" on
question 22, and then decided it had gone far enough and said
"you won, but 20q guessed it eventually".

However, I have distinct recollections of, last time I played,
a human player guessing my thought of a specific radio station.

Of course, 20q.net cheats by asking multimodal questions
(animal,vegetable, or mineral) so more than 2^20 possibilities.