On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:48 PM, gts wrote:

Ben,

Of course the world is an enormously complex relation of interdependencies between many causes and effects. I do not dispute that fact.

I question however whether this should really be an important consideration in developing AGI.

One's probabilistic judgements should always be justified, yes? And when a probabilistic judgement P(A) is justified only by one or more other probabilistic judgements [P(Q), P(R), and P(S), say] then one is not justified in assuming P(A) should have a value greater than [P(Q) * P(R) * P(S)]. Yes?

Well, if

A = Q and R and S

then

P(A) = P(Q) * P(R) * P(S)

only under an independence assumption.

If Q=R, but S is independent of R, then we have

P(A) = P(Q) * P(S)

which is generally bigger than

P(Q) * P(R) * P(S)

More commonly, if Q, R and S have some dependencies but are not identical, then we'll find

P(A) > P(Q) * P(R) * P(S)

The problem is that calculating the dependencies accurately, if Q, R and S are complex entities themselves,may require more resources than the mind in question (human or AI) has available.

If that coherency condition is not true for an AGI then I might have trouble trusting its probabilistic judgements. I do not much care in this case whether our AGI is correct in its probabilistic judgement about A (it may be ignorant about many facts of the world including many facts related to judgements about Q, R and S) but I do care whether our AGI is *justified* in its appraisal of P(A).

Note that dutch books cannot be made against an AGI that does not claim to have knowledge it does not have.

That is true and important, and is why Pei and I and others use multiple-component truth values in our systems -- we explicitly track the weight of evidence associated with uncertainty estimates.

But knowing what knowledge you have (weight of evidence assessment) is **also** a problem that a moderate-resources mind cannot solve exactly. For instance, there is the issue of estimating the independence or otherwise between two different pieces of evidence, which is needed to do accurate evidence-counting...

-- Ben