From: Eugen Leitl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:35 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: Languages for AGI [WAS Re: [agi] Priors and indefinite
probabilities]

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 08:24:21AM -0800, Chuck Esterbrook wrote:

> What is the nature of your language and development environment? Is it
> in the same neighborhood as imperative OO languages such as Python and
> Java? Or something "different" like Prolog?

There are some very good Lisp systems (SBCL) with excellent compilers,
rivalling C and Fortran in code quality (if you avoid common pitfalls
like consing). Together with code and data being represented by
the same data structure and good support of code generation by code
(more so than any other language I've heard of) makes Lisp an evergreen
for classical AI domains. (Of course AI is a massively parallel
number-crunching application, so Lisp isn't all that helpful here).