To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:34 PM
Subject: **SPAM** Re: **SPAM** Re: [agi] Development Environments for AI (a few non-religious comments!)

>> Also, why would 32 -> 64 bit be a problem, provided you planned for
it in advance?
Name all the large, long-term projects that you know of that *haven't* gotten bitten by something like this. Now, name all of the large, long-term projects that you know of that HAVE gotten bitten repeatedly by the state of the art moving past something that they have custom programmed and can't easily integrate. If the second number isn't a lot larger than the first, you're not living in my world. :-)

I think you're exaggerating the issue. Porting the NM code from 32->64 bit was a pain but not a huge deal, certainly a trivial % of the total work done on the project. I do not think an enterprise DB would serve well for Novamente. I am pretty confident that the specialized indices we use (implemented directly in C++) are significantly faster than implementing comparable indices in an enterprise DB would be.

However, the advantage of an enterprise DB would be that you'd avoid some of the work involved in making NM a distributed system --- work we know how to do, but haven't done yet, because it's time-consuming...

-- Ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303