Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:12:55AM -0400, Ben Goertzel wrote:
It is a trite point, but I can't help repeating that, given how very little we know about the brain's deeper workings, these estimates of the brain's computational

Not to belabor the point, but the objections about how little we
know about neuroscience typically come from AI folks, who, frankly
are not particularly versed in the matter. So I'd take my Koch or my
Markram over Kurzweil any time.

I am not a neuroscientist but living a few miles from the NIH I frequently attend neuroscience seminars there and I think I have a decent sense of what the overall state of knowledge is. Also, it happens my wife is a grad student in cognitive neuroscience
at the moment.

None of the NIH neuroscientists can tell me how an abstract concept is represented in the brain, nor how an abstract pattern (e.g. a mathematical rule) is represented. Without that knowledge, how can we really estimate what the brain's capacity or power is, in any pragmatic sense?

If you have the structure, you can crunch things from first principles.
At the low level of theory the problem is well-understood.

I disagree. You can come up with an upper bound on computational capacity that way, but it may be a big overestimate. There are a lot of ways that neural infrastructure could be used to implement cognition, some vastly more computationally wasteful than others.

 Do you have
a well-understood low-level theory of generic AI? Or *any* theory at
all?

I have a well-understood generic theory of a particular class of AGI designs (Novamente and similar designs). The space of all possible AGI designs is mighty large and I have no general theoretical handle on it, beyond the level of conceptual/philosophical understanding.

neural computing power
may also be meaningful!

http://www.amazon.com/Biophysics-Computation-Information-Computational-Neuroscience/dp/0195181999/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7341035-9436725?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173876708&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0262681080/ref=s9_asin_image_2/104-7341035-9436725

I would really recommend that as many list subscribers who can
afford the time (they're cheap) to read these two books.
Koch is a very good scientist ... but knowing the computational capacity of a single neuron only lets you place an upper bound on the computational capacity of the brain (assuming neurons rather than microtubules or quantum-resonating water macromolecules or whatever are the key processing element in the brain), it doesn't
let you make a really accurate or meaningful estimate...

Ben