Like so many other terms relevant to AGI, "emergence" has a lot of different meanings.

Some have used a very strong interpretation that I don't like much... a meaning like "a property of a collective that is fundamentally unpredictable based on the components"

According to my interpretation, the attractors in a Hopfield net are emergent properties of the interactions of the neurons ... but this doesn't mean it's impossible to predict the attractors that will arise if one knows about the neurons and their interactions. It just means that the details of the attractors are **computationally hard** to predict from the details of the neurons. But the qualitative nature of the attractors can be understood cleanly by mathematical theory, in this case.

So in general I will call a property of a collective **emergent** if it is relatively simple to describe on its own, but computationally very difficult to predict, in detail, from properties of the components of the collective. According to the above definition, it is quite possible to engineer systems with emergent properties, and to prove things about the constraints on emergent system properties as well.

-- Ben G