J. Storrs Hall, PhD. wrote:
On Monday 19 March 2007 17:30, Ben Goertzel wrote:
My own view these days is that a wild combination of agents is
probably not the right approach, in terms of building AGI.

Novamente consists of a set of agents that have been very carefully
sculpted to work together in such a way as to (when fully implemented
and tuned) give rise to the right overall emergent structures.

There is one way you can form a coherent, working system from a congeries of random agents: put them in a marketplace. This has a fairly rigorous discipline of its own and most of them will not survive... and of course the system has to have some way of coming up with new ones that will.

In principle, yeah, this can work. But we have to remember that the biggest problem of AGI is dealing with severe computational resource limitations (and, the brain's resources are also to be considered severely limited, compared to what naive computational algorithms could easily consume, mathematically speaking).

The question is whether a "virtual marketplace" is a viable approach to AGI, in terms of computational
expense...

For instance, Baum's Hayek is an innovative and exciting use of economics in an AI learning context, yet the approach seems not to be scalable into anything resembling an AGI architecture.

Novamente uses economic ideas in some aspects, but mainly just for allocation of attention (system
resources) among different internal processes.

My strong intuitive feeling is that using a virtual marketplace to originate a coherent working system from a congerie of random agents would not be computationally feasible. This, to me, falls into the same general category as "build a primordial soup and let Alife and then AI evolve from it." Yes, these things can work given enough resources. But the resource requirements are way higher than for
more direct engineering-oriented approaches.

The brain may well involve some economics-ish dynamics. Energy minimization and energy conservation certainly share some common factors with profit maximization and money conservation. However, I really doubt the brain relies on emergent market dynamics to enable interoperation of its various components. The interoperation of the components was originated via evolution, and is merely tuned and minorly adjusted by brain dynamics during the life of the organism (quasi-"economic" or
otherwise).

-- Ben G