YKY> On 3/20/07, J. Storrs Hall, PhD. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There is one way you can form a coherent, working system from a
>> congeries
YKY> of
>> random agents: put them in a marketplace. This has a fairly
>> rigorous discipline of its own and most of them will not
>> survive... and of course
YKY> the
>> system has to have some way of coming up with new ones that will.
>> [...]

YKY> This is assuming that you have a *massive* number of agents who
YKY> participate in said market.  In reality I don't think there are a
YKY> massive number of narrow AI projects wanting to plug into a large
YKY> AI ecosystem.  There are "many", but not "massively many", narrow
YKY> AI projects out there.

YKY> For example, I can believe there are 100s of face-recognition
YKY> systems world-wide, but definitely not > 10,000.

YKY> Can you clarify: are those "agents" all engineered by one group
YKY> of programmers, or are they recruited externally, eg from the
YKY> internet?

I think what Josh had in mind was a system like my Hayek system,
where the agents were actually evolved. But there is no reason why
engineered agents couldn't participate also.

The point of the market is to provide feedback to the agents.
If the economy is set up right, then agents that earn money are
contributing to the performance of the overall system, and agents
that lose money are harming it. Thus designer of the agent,
whether it be an evolutionary algorithm or a programmer or a team
of programmers, can pay attention to a local signal, earning money.

YKY> In many ways, my rule-based production system cum truth
YKY> maintenance system can be viewed as a market place (of production
YKY> rules or beliefs).  The beliefs in such a system depend on its
YKY> experience, is unpredictable, and is therefore emergent.  In this
YKY> sense, *any* AGI would display emergent behavior.

YKY> It all goes back to my original analysis: everyone wants to start
YKY> their own "marketplace" and get other people to participate in
YKY> it.

The caveat is that this only works if your economy is set up
correctly. It has to obey principles "conservation of money" and
"property rights". Numerous AI systems that believed they were
invoking economic like organizations-- such as Eurisko and Classifier
Systems-- ran into pathologies because they didn't construct the
economy properly. (And related pathologies can be observed in the real
economy and ecosystem, where these principles are violated.)
I recommend Chapter 10 of What is Thought? for more extended explanation.