Eugen discussed evolution as a development process.  I just wanted to comment
about what Minsky said in his talk (and I have to thank this list for
pointing out that resource).  He said that the problem with evolution is
that it throws away the information about why bad solutions failed.  That
really has affected my thinking about it, since I was thinking that it at
least sounded like a pretty good idea.  But it is really a very terrible
waste, and I no longer really think it is such a great model to use.  I'm
not sure what adaptations could be made to make up fo that loss, but surely
there could be an improvement over evolution, even in a sytem of random
generation and recombination with competitive survival.
andi