On 3/23/07, David Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Both the code and algorythmn must be good for any computer system to work
and neither is easy.  The bond formula was published for many years but this
particular company certainly didn't have a copy of it inside a program they
could use.  The formula was 1 line of at least 4K lines of code.  The
program wasn't so trivial either :)

The reason AGI doesn't exist yet is not because there aren't enough skilled
programmers in the world.  (Or that these people are using the wrong
operating
system or programming language etc... to address the rest of the discussion
on this thread!)  The problem is that people aren't exactly clear about what
it is
that has to be programmed.  Time and time again in the field people have
thought
that they knew what had to be done, and yet when they finally got around to
coding
it the results weren't what they had hoped for.

Is the research on AI full of Math because there are many Math professors
that publish in the field or is the problem really Math related?  Many PhDs
in computer science are Math oriented exactly because the professors that
deem their work worth a PhD are either Mathematicians or their sponsoring
professor was.

I don't know of any math profs who publish in artificial intelligence,
though no doubt
there are a few that do.  No, thinking about it now I can think of a few.
Even if you
look at the work of my PhD supervisor Marcus Hutter, he's not a math prof,
he's
actually a physics PhD.  His work might look very mathematical to a computer
scientist, but he doesn't actually use much beyond about 4th year university
level
mathematics and statistics in his book.  Indeed he likes to joke about
mathematicians
and how they are overly formal and concerned about details like whether he
has
properly deal with certain special cases on sets of measure 0 :-)

So yeah, the math that you see in the field is almost always coming from
people
who are mathematically inclined, but aren't math profs.  I should also note
that the
number of pure theory people in AI is very small.  For example, I went to
the ALT
conference last year to present some work and there were only 40 people.
This is
the second biggest AI theory conference in the world (after COLT).  Other
areas like
genetic algorithms attract thousands.

Shane