On 3/25/07, rooftop8000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Chuck Esterbrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > what
> > >
> > > I hoped someone on the list was smart enough to find one
> >
> > I have actually proposed such an architecture, in outline.  I'm sure Ben G
> > and Peter Voss also have their respective architectures.  One question is
> > whether we can synthesize these different theories.  If not, we'd end
> > up with a number of isolated groups that do not collaborate in any
> > meaningful / significant way.
>
> That might be bad from your perspective, but I think it could be good
> from a global perspective. For one thing, each group will have its own
> approach and one will cross the finish line earlier than the others.
> Since you can't objectively predict which approach that will be, the
> diversity is valuable. Also, the groups may learn from each other or
> improve their performance in response to the accomplishment of other
> groups.
>
> The fragmentation of ordinary software development can be frustrating.
> There is Java vs. .NET vs. C++ vs. open source (which isn't really
> entirely separate from the others). But I'm positive none of these
> would have progressed as far without the competition. Hell, Java 5.0
> was *all* about responding to .NET which in turn was very much about
> responding to the Java phenomena. And we reap the rewards: there is
> more benefit than harm.

Too bad java and c++ are pretty horrible languages and they kept
better languages from being used.

Well, I didn't say it was a perfect system. :-)

Still, even the top 3 put together (Java, C, C++) don't break 50%:
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

And you can see that Python, Ruby and D are on the rise.

-Chuck