Eugen wrote:

Of course a point could be made that reconstructing function from
structure (which in principle can be obtained from vitrified
brain sections at arbitrary resolution) is less far off than AI bootstrap.

I personally feel AI bootstrap is significantly closer, but arguing about
relative timing of uncertain advances probably isn't that productive
(at least, for it to be productive it would need to become a way more
in-depth technical conversation)

BTW I am not sure your statement about reconstructing function from
structure being achievable via studying vitrified brain sections is correct.

The problem is dynamics.

Reconstructing brain function from a series of
time-slices of brain-state, is a well-defined math problem, though perhaps
a very hard computational problem.

However, reconstructing the dynamics
of a system from a single time-slice is a well-defined math problem only
if one includes the laws of physics into the picture -- and we do not know
how
to apply the laws of physics to systems on the scale and complexity of
brains in a computationally tractable way, with sufficient detail to
reconstruct
system dynamics from a single time-slice.

And, of course vitrification does not give us a series of time-slices of
brain-state.
At best it gives us one time-slice of certain very important aspects of the
state.

Thus, I suspect that advances in brain scanning technology are what are
going
to give us the ability to reconstruct brain function.  Give it another 15-25
years
and we'll have the spatiotemporal resolution of brain scanning to gather the
data whose analysis will allow us to really understand the beauty and
absurdity
of what goes on in our brains...

-- Ben G

-- Ben