On 4/23/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ontic looks like an interesting and elegant formalism, but I don't see how it
would help an AGI learn mathematics.  We are not yet at the point where we can
solve word problems like "if I pay for a $4.95 item with a $10 bill, how much
change should I get back?"  Never mind the harder problem of proving theorems.

Give people calculators and they will just unlearn math, not having to
add their fees by themselves. But show them how calculators work, and
who knows, some of them might become mathematicians.

But you are right in that an AGI could ultimately reprogram itself to
think in Ontic when it wants to.