I've been using the Charmed Labs Qwerk for over a month now and it is a very
neat system which brings together in a single device many of the things
which traditionally are separate, such as computers, digital analog I/O
boards, vision systems, Servo control, etc.  Integrating these diverse
aspects of a robotics system is usually a major headache.  The cost of the
Qwerks is also low enough for hobbyists or anyone mildly interested in
robotics.  Another advantage is the low power consumption, making it a
realistic prospect that a system could run all day without recharging.

See www.charmedlabs.com and www.terk.ri.cmu.edu for details.

A couple of images of the robot which I'm developing, which uses the Qwerk.

   http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/459084802_33a784930e_b.jpg
   http://farm1.static.flickr.com/247/461423164_1d7176c14a_b.jpg

From an AGI perspective robots such as these might be useful in that the
internet aspect provides a level of abstraction, such that the person or
program using the robot need not know a great deal about how it works.  It
might be possible to use robots such as these for "baby AGI" experiments in
real environments.  An internet based intelligence might be able to learn
from examples of human tele-operation, and could potentially control more
than one robot in a coordinated way, perhaps also making use of fixed IP
cameras to provide a high degree of overall awareness (a sort of collective
embodiment).