Well you've correctly anticipated the next step.  I'm adding a manipulator
arm, which is only a little shorter than an adult human arm, so that the
robot will be capable of doing a few useful jobs.  The intention here is to
use it for things like sweeping, mopping or dusting.

The robot, which I've named GROK1, has a single camera mounted on a pan and
tilt mechanism such that it has nearly a full hemisphere of possible viewing
angles.  In its simplest form this could be used to generate high resolution
panoramas (I believe Google is doing something similar to this).  It can be
driven around the house, and menace its occupants with an onboard speaker
("stand back! I'm maximizing my utility function!").

This is all good fun, but there is a slightly more serious side.  As soon as
you add an arm to a robot it could potentially get up to mischief, knocking
things over or wielding an object as a weapon.  It's only a question of time
before tele-robots such as these become commercially available, so it might
be worthwhile thinking about some of the possible negative side effects in
advance.  It's likely that I'll be finding out some of these quite soon.

On 26/04/07, Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A couple of images of the robot which I'm developing, which uses the
> Qwerk.
>
>     http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/459084802_33a784930e_b.jpg
>     http://farm1.static.flickr.com/247/461423164_1d7176c14a_b.jpg

Cool!

That robot looks like it can see things and move around, but not
manipulate things...

Or am I missing something?

Do you have plans to add a manipulator (arm, etc.?) of some sort?

ben