Benjamin Goertzel wrote:

    Has anyone noticed that people who have studied AGI all their lives,
    like
    Kurzweil and Minsky, aren't trying to build one?

    -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't get it ... some of us who have studied AGI all our lives ARE trying
to build one...

Yeah, ditto.

I don't think the people who stopped did so because the TASK is incredibly hard, I think it is because, using their techniques, their VERSION of the task was impossibly hard.

In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the task could turn out to be not nearly as hard as is widely assumed (it might even be easy). The reason I say that is that there is a glaringly different approach to AI that no one has tried in earnest, but which, on those few occasions that anyone came near to trying it, worked astonishingly well. That approach (basically the connectionist one) only stopped working when people inadvertently tried to 'improve' it to make it more rigorous.

We'll see.

Richard Loosemore.