i meant programs that reason about the code you give them.

I did too. If a program can reason like that, unless it only works in a very small domain, you've created AGI.

----- Original Message ----- From: "rooftop8000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] rule-based NL system

i meant programs that reason about the code you give them.
but never mind

--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> we want computers to
> understand natural language because we think: if you know the syntax,
> the semantics follow easily

Huh?  "We" don't think anything of the sort.  Syntax is relatively easy.
Semantics are AGI.

> do any programs like this exist already?

Uh . . . no . . . because any such program which worked would effectively
*be* AGI.

----- Original Message ----- From: "rooftop8000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>