On May 10, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Benjamin Goertzel wrote:

Ben, I imagine, more or less knows the open-source truth in talking about an AGI "Manhattan Project." But even that would be too small. The whole world -
the whole Internet - will have to be involved..

I don't really agree with this.

A Manhattan project would be awesome and would maximize odds of success ... but I'm confident that with brilliance, a good AGI design and a bit of luck,
a small team can get to the finish line ;-)

I tend to agree. Many hands and eyeballs are great for a project of many relatively isolatable components whose requirements and interaction are relatively understood. But AGI is pushing the envelope tremendously and, to the degree I understand current designs and design strategies, a set of very tightly inter-related parts need to be designed and build. Many of the parts themselves much less their interaction are being created and integrated out of whole cloth. Small, high bandwidth, concentrated and brilliant teams are required. The vast majority of all programmers/hackers are not qualified. Even of the number that is only a small subset can be formed into a cohesive enough team for this intense a task. If anything is likely to be a natural cathedral rather than a bazaar it is AGI.

- samantha