Open source vs closed source is one of the most difficult decisions I faced
in my entire AGI career.

I've always championed "open source AND for-profit", which is the
middleground of "open-free" and "closed-commercial", though it may seem like
a contradiction.  Sometimes I think it may work in a paradoxical way.  Some
other times, I have a feeling that such a middleground is not the best.

One surprising thing I learned is how many AGI people actually insist on the
product being free and opensource.  Perhaps it is the "backlash" created by
Bill Gates' extraordinary success and wealth, at the expense of his
competitors and other startups.

* * *

The second question is whether the "AGI core" can be built by a "closed"
team of say 10-20 people.  I think the answer is yes and no.  It depends on
what kind of "people" we're talking about.

AGI requires solving some *open research problems* such as probabilistic
logic.  Normally any one of such problems requires at least several years of
a devoted and brilliant researcher to solve.  Notice that this situation is
distinctly different from many other traditional startups where basically no
major technological breakthrough / research is required (most notably
Microsoft).

So it seems that we need to INCREASE the level of ideas-sharing and
collaboration among researchers.  And opensource *may* be able to help
achieve that.  But then again, notice that most traditional opensource
projects are very technologically conservative -- they're not known
for bring about breakthroughs.

We have tough problems ahead, to say the least.

YKY