Matt Mahoney wrote:
--- Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Matt Mahoney wrote:

I think there is a different role for chaos theory.  Richard Loosemore
describes a system as intelligent if it is complex and adaptive.

NO, no no no no!

I already denied this.

Misunderstanding: I do not say that a system as intelligent if it is complex and adaptive.

"Complex Adaptive System" is a near-synonym for "complex system", that's all.

OK, so what is your definition of intelligence?

I thought I already answered this one, too, but here goes:

There is no 'definition' of intelligence, in the sense of a compact, classical definition that captures the whole thing in a formal way, and which can be used as the basis for some kind of hard-edged mathematical analysis of intelligent systems, or strict design methodlogy for creating an intelligent system (this being the way that a lot of people are trying to use these definitions).

There are 'descriptive definitions', such as the one Pei gave a few days ago, which I think are fine, but these beg questions that need more detail, which then beg more questions..... which ultimately leads to a cluster of loosely defined features that eventually become an entire book, and then become an actual intelligence.

Hope that clears it up.

Richard Loosemore.