On 6/1/07, J. Andrew Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The thing is, designing a product like Windows, Excel, and Firefox
are to a significant extent pretty different than an AGI.  It seems
pretty obvious to me that an AGI will be a lot more like a systems
engine design than a feature-centric user application.

Well yes, that's why I picked those three - all of them have some kind of
platform nature in one way or another rather than being pure end-user
applications.

Windows would
straddle this a bit since it does have an operating system kernel
somewhere underneath that mess.  I would expect the AGI userland to
be pretty thin (at least at first) and fairly arbitrary.  Lots of
tightly specified magic that does not require that much code
(relative to something like Firefox or Excel) underneath a very
compact API, analogous to modern database engines (except that modern
database engines have massive accreted userlands and relatively tiny
kernels).

To an extent, yeah. I think by the time it gets to the point of doing
something useful for an end user, though, it'll have a lot of layers of
code. A database engine isn't a bad analogy: a smallish kernel, big layers
on top of that, then application code in more layers on top again.