>> Has anyone tried a test of something as simple as "per line of code" /
>> function?

    My first "official" programming course was a Master's level course at an
Ivy League college.  The course project was a full-up LISP interpreter.  My
program was ~800-900 lines and passed all testing with flying colors.  The next
smallest program was in excess of 7,000 lines with a number of people in the
10,000 to 13,000 range -- most of whom were not able to debug their problems
with properly maintaining their environments.

    I believe that the key to truly effective programmers is that they know how
to use levels of abstraction to minimize code (less code = less maintenance =
less bugs = less mindshare, etc).  The last thing that I want to do is
*anything* that encourages people to write more code (even if it gets replaced
later -- since it would still eat up mindshare until then).

    The only scheme that I'd possibly accept based on lines of code would be
one where if someone else wrote a tighter program, the original writer would
get negative credit (i.e. something like if they wrote 7,000 lines and I re-did
it with 1,000 -- I get credit for half the difference for a total of 3,000 and
they get credit for 1,000 minus half the difference for a total of minus 2,000
-- noting, of course, that if their initial code was relatively good and only
1,500 and I wrote 1,000, they would still get 750 while I only get 250).