Even if they received credit for the 7,000 lines, it would be worth very little
in the overall scheme, and any code that was not good could be marked as "too
be fixed" or optimized fairly easily, (similar again to the Wiki markups) to
where that credit could be diminished...
and any obvious spam or dragging out fo larger code would be removed.

Also a time delay could be in place, so no credit is applied until 3-5 people
have looked over the code, and a month has passed by, so any new spammy code
would fall thru the cracks.

James

Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:       >> Has  anyone tried a test of
something as simple as "per line of code" /  function?

     My first "official" programming course was a Master's  level course at an
Ivy League college.  The course project was a full-up  LISP interpreter.  My
program was ~800-900 lines and passed all testing  with flying colors.  The
next smallest program was in excess of 7,000 lines  with a number of people in
the 10,000 to 13,000 range -- most of whom were not  able to debug their
problems with properly maintaining their  environments.

     I believe that the key to truly  effective programmers is that they know
how to use levels of abstraction to  minimize code (less code = less
maintenance = less bugs = less mindshare,  etc).  The last thing that I want to
do is *anything* that encourages  people to write more code (even if it gets
replaced later -- since it would  still eat up mindshare until then).

     The only scheme that I'd  possibly accept based on lines of code would be
one where if someone else wrote  a tighter program, the original writer would
get negative credit (i.e. something  like if they wrote 7,000 lines and I
re-did it with 1,000 -- I get credit for  half the difference for a total of
3,000 and they get credit for 1,000 minus  half the difference for a total of
minus 2,000 -- noting, of course, that if  their initial code was relatively
good and only 1,500 and I wrote 1,000, they  would still get 750 while I only
get 250).