For object recognition think of OCR.  OCR is very good now.  It's not AGI
it's, I dare to say, basically a mechanical operation.  For general object
recognition the same type of speed and accuracy would fit the bill.  Is
there a "self" needed for OCR?

For "us" yes a self is integral.  If you are modeling an AGI after "us" a
self would be needed but for AGI is self absolutely necessary and impossible
without?  Depends on your definition of AGI...

John