On 10/4/07, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We can't build a system that learns as fast as a 1-year-old just now. Which is
> our most likely next step: (a) A system that does learn like a 1-year-old, or
> (b) a system that can learn 1000 times as fast as an adult?
>
> Following Moore's law and its software cognates, I'd say give me the former
> and I'll give you the latter in a decade. With lots of hard work. Then and
> only then will you have something that's able to improve itself faster than a
> high-end team of human researchers and developers could.

You can't know that if you don't have any working algorithm or theory
that's able to predict required computational power... At least there
is no reason to expect that when AGI is implemented, hardware existing
at that time is going to provide it with exactly the resources of
human being. It might be that hardware will not be ready, or that
it'll be enough to run it 1000 faster. So, in event that hardware will
be sufficient, it will probably be enough for AGI to run much faster
than human.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]