Tim Freeman:> No value is> added by introducing considerations about
self-reference into> conversations about the consequences of AI engineering.> >
Junior geeks do find it impressive, though.
The point of that conversation was to illustrate that if people are worried
about Seed AI exploding, then one option is to not build Seed AI (since that is
only one approach to developing AGI, and in fact I do not know of any actual
project that includes it at present).  Quoting Yudkowsky:

> The task is not to build an AI with some astronomical level
> of intelligence; the task is building an AI which is capable
> of improving itself, of understanding and rewriting its own
> source code.

Perhaps only "junior geeks" like him find the concept relevant.  You seem to
think that self-reference buys you nothing at all since it is a simple matter
for the first AGI projects to reinvent their own equivalent from scratch, but
I'm not sure that's true.