From: Derek Zahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>You seem to think that self-reference buys you nothing at all since it
>is a simple matter for the first AGI projects to reinvent their own
>equivalent from scratch, but I'm not sure that's true.

The "from scratch" part is a straw-man argument.  The AGI project will
have lots of resources to draw on; it could read Hutter's papers or
license HTM or incorporate lots of other packages or existing AI projects
that it might find useful.

My point is that if one is worried about a self-improving Seed AI
exploding, one should also be worried about any AI that competently
writes software exploding.  Keeping its source code secret from
itself doesn't help much.  Hmm, I suppose an AI that does mechanical
engineering could explode too, perhaps by doing nanotech, so AI's
competently doing engineering is a risk in general.

--
Tim Freeman               http://www.fungible.com           [EMAIL PROTECTED]