I am using "Holonic" as Eliezer S. Yudkowsky used in in his LEVELS OF
ORGANIZATION IN GENERAL INTELLIGENCE in which he said

""Holonic" is a useful word to describe the simultaneous application of
reductionism and holism, in which a single quality is simultaneously a
combination of parts and a part of a greater whole [Koestler67].  Note
that "holonic" does not imply strict hierarchy, only a general flow from
high-level to low-level and vice versa.  For example, a single feature
detector may make use of the output of lower-level feature detectors, and
act in turn as an input to higher-level feature detectors.  The
information contained in a mid-level feature is then the holistic sum of
many lower-level features, and also an element in the sums produced by
higher-level features.  If you pick one vantage point in a holonic
structure and "look down" (reductionism) you find parts composing the
local whole, with simpler behaviors that contribute to local complexity;
if you "look up" (holism) you find a greater whole to which local parts
contribute, and more complex processes which local behaviors support. "

I basically use it to be representation in roughly hierarchical network,
such as that defined by Jeff Hawkings, or in the Serre PhD thesis I have
cited so often.  Representations using such nets have many advantages,
such as functional invariance, ability to inherit information from more
general nodes, etc.