From: William Pearson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:49 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] "symbol grounding" Q&A

On 16/10/2007, Edward W. Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Josh,  your Tue 10/16/2007 8:58 AM post was a very good one.  I have
> just a few comments in all-caps.
>
> "The view I suggest instead is that it's not the symbols per se, but
> the machinery that manipulates them, that provides semantics."
>
> MACHINERY WITHOUT REPRESENTATION TO COMPUTE FROM IS OF AS LITTLE
> >VALUE AS REPRESENTATION WITHOUT MACHINERY TO COMPUTE FROM IT.

Hmm, how then is a modern PC valuable? It has no representation of the
type advocated by AI designers interested in that sort of things. The
closest thing it has to a representation of that type is int and floats
and how they interact with operators. Highly abstract, and by Turing
completeness they are not necessary to make a system that can compute
everything it can compute, you could go as highly abstract as a TM.
However even lacking a high level representation it can still deal with
folders/files, because machinery has been built on top of the abstract low
level maths to give these concepts similar meaning to what humans make of
them.

So I would contend that representation of the world is fully dependent
upon the machinery within the system. As I am interested in systems in
which the machinery re-configures itself to some degree, there is no such
thing as, "The Representation," merely changeable machinery and abstract
data that can be viewed as representing things at a point in time.

 Will Pearson

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;